Student at ASU tempe campus

Cancel or defer graduate admission

Deferring graduate admission

Graduate students may request a deferral of their initial semester of admission to the next semester for which the degree program is admitting students. For current students exploring a leave of absence, refer to the Graduate Policies and Procedures Handbook.

Not all academic units offer deferrals, so please consult your academic unit prior to submitting a request. If you have not registered for classes, request a deferral by opening the Request Change link under the My Programs and Degree Progress box on My ASU. If you have registered for classes, drop your classes before submitting the Request Change form. You must withdraw from all classes before the end of ASU’s refund period or you will be responsible for all tuition charges. Review important add/drop dates here. By registering for classes, you agree to pay all applicable tuition and registration fees. Sign in to My ASU to withdraw from your classes.

Returning to ASU after deferment

Make sure you are prepared to start classes the semester to which you deferred your admission. Review your Priority Tasks on My ASU. Because you've been admitted to ASU, please use your existing ASURITE User ID to activate and log in to My ASU and your ASU email.

  • Submit the measles, mumps and rubella immunization form if your degree program is not 100% online. 
  • Submit official transcripts. Official, original or authenticated transcripts from every college or university from which you earned a comparable credential to a U.S. bachelor’s degree or higher must be sent to ASU in the original language and accompanied by an English translation (if the original document was not issued in English).
  • Register for your classes once registration opens to ensure you have time to review course materials and familiarize yourself with classroom locations, access and policies. Refer to the academic calendar to review registration dates. You may need to connect with your academic advisor to register. You can find your academic advisor’s contact information on My ASU under the Academic Support Team box.

Deadlines to submit a deferral request through the Request Change form:

Students attending a physical campus location: Session C 11:59 pm (Arizona time) on add/drop date. (refer to the academic calendar for drop dates) 

Students attending the online location: Session B 11:59 pm (Arizona time) on add/drop date. (refer to the academic calendar for drop dates) 

Canceling graduate admission

If you have not yet registered for classes for the term of your admission and would like to cancel your admission, please email

If you have registered for classes and wish to withdraw from the university, you will need to withdraw from your classes and fill out the Voluntary Withdrawal form. You may scan the form and email it to, fax it to 480-965-5158, or bring it to the Graduate Admission Services office in the Student Services Building, room 112.

International students should also contact the International Students and Scholars Center before withdrawing from classes and submitting a Voluntary Withdrawal form, as it most likely will affect their visa status.

Frequently asked questions about canceling or deferring graduate admission

Can international graduate students cancel or defer admission?

Canceling or deferring admission will likely affect your visa status. Contact the International Students and Scholars Center before withdrawing from classes.

How many times can I defer my graduate admission?

Only one graduate admission deferral is allowed. However, not all academic units offer deferrals.

How can I get in contact with the Graduate Admission Services office to discuss canceling or deferring my graduate admission?

Students can reach the Graduate Admission Services office by email or in person. Email or visit the Graduate Admission Services office in the Student Services Building, room 112.

View more FAQs