Academic renewal is a university policy administered to recalculate the cumulative ASU GPA of an undergraduate student who fulfill these three criteria.
- is pursuing thier first undergraduate degree and has not previously received an academic renewal
- has a cumulative ASU GPA below 2.00 (individual colleges may elect to consider applications for students whose GPA is a 2.00 or higher)
- is readmitted to a degree program after an absence of at least five continuous calendar years (including summer sessions)
Courses (including transfer credits) completed before the five-year absence with a grade of “C” (2.00) or higher are treated in the same manner as if all the credits were transfer credits, up to a maximum of 60 credit hours.
The cumulative GPA is based only on credits earned subsequent to the student's re-entry. Graduation requirements for resident credit hours and GPA must be fulfilled after the academic renewal. Graduation requirements for academic recognition (resident credit hours and GPA) must also be fulfilled after the academic renewal.
Courses completed before and after the academic renewal remain on the transcript and may be considered when students apply for undergraduate professional or
A request for academic renewal follows this procedure:
- Students interested in academic renewal must fill out the Application for Academic Renewal and submit the form to the Dean’s Office in the college of their major.
- The Application for Academic Renewal may be submitted immediately upon readmission but must be submitted no later than the start of the third semester after readmission.
- The Dean’s Office specifies in advance a minimum of 12 semester hours required for completion.
- When the approved credits are completed with a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher, and no grade lower than "C" (2.00) in each course, the Dean’s Office will forward the Application for Academic Renewal to the University Registrar's Office for processing.
Only readmission students working toward their first undergraduate degree are eligible to apply for academic renewal, which may be implemented only once during a student's academic career.
Academic renewal is transferable among colleges.
All students with a cumulative ASU GPA below 2.00 and who have been absent from ASU for five consecutive calendar years or more are eligible to petition for academic renewal. Individual colleges may elect to entertain petitions for academic renewal from students with ASU GPAs above 2.00. College standards committees have final authorization on academic renewal petitions.