How does Arizona State University rank compared to other universities?

Arizona State University ranks highly compared to other universities, and many ASU programs rank highly compared to other universities' programs. ASU has been named #1 in the U.S. for innovation for the third consecutive year, ahead of Stanford and MIT, according to U.S. News & World Report. ASU is a top world university according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities and the Center for World University Rankings. ASU is also the top public university chosen by international students. See a complete list of ASU rankings.

What is the student-to-faculty ratio at ASU?

ASU strives to keep class sizes as small as possible. The student-to-faculty ratio at ASU is 18-to-1.

What is ASU’s total student population?

ASU’s four campuses in metropolitan Phoenix are home to 71,800+ students as of fall 2017.

Where is ASU located?

ASU is located in the metro Phoenix area of Arizona, in the southwest region of the United States. The university is about a six hour drive (or one hour flight) from Los Angeles and five hour drive (or 50 minute flight) from Las Vegas.

What is the total cost of attending ASU?

Cost of attendance varies for in-state (resident), out-of-state (non resident), international and graduate students.

How do I request to have my ACT or SAT scores sent directly to ASU?

Scores are automatically sent from the ACT or the Collegeboard (SAT) to the places you requested when you registered. You can also have your scores sent to ASU from ACT or the College Board (SAT) after you take your test.

What are ASU’s SAT and ACT school codes?

SAT: 4007
ACT: 0088

What are Arizona’s residency requirements?

Being declared a resident by the state of Arizona differs from being considered a resident for tuition purposes by ASU. University Registrar Services follows specific Arizona Board of Regents guidelines when determining a student’s residency status based on the information provided on the admission application.

What are the ASU undergraduate admission application deadlines?

Each year, the deadline to apply for spring admission is Nov. 1 and for fall admission, the deadline is May 1. For summer admission, the deadline is Feb. 1.

How can I tell if my ASU admission application is complete?

Within a few days you will receive an email with instructions on how to log in to your My ASU. My ASU is where you can monitor the status of your application, view any missing items and receive the final outcome of your application.

How long does it take to receive an undergraduate admission decision from ASU?

Once we have received a complete application, including paid application fee and official transcripts, undergraduate students should receive an admission decision in about four weeks. Depending on the volume of student applications, processing times may vary. In some instances, admission decisions can be made in as little as five business days.

How do I check my ASU admission application status?

To see your application status, log in to My ASU and click My Application Status.

When will I receive my ASU undergraduate admission letter?

You can expect to receive your letter five to seven business days after admission.

Where do I submit my MMR immunization documentation?

You can submit your MMR immunization documentation to ASU Health Services.

Am I required to live on campus in an ASU dorm?

As a first-year freshman, you're expected to live on the campus of your major. If you’d like to request a housing exemption, you must first complete the housing application to let us know your reason for requesting a housing exception.

How do I choose an undergraduate major?

There are a variety of resources available to help you select your major or minor. You can start by visiting ASU’s undergraduate degree search to explore the more than 350 degree programs at ASU. While on Degree Search you can take ASU's major and career quiz, Me3®, which can help you decide on a major

Can I change my ASU major? If so, how?

It is not uncommon for students to change their majors after they start classes at ASU. To change your major, log in to My ASU, click Change My Major and follow the steps from there.

What do I need to do before I can register for classes at ASU?

To register for classes, you must submit your enrollment deposit (if applicable) and your MMR immunization form. Check My ASU to make sure you don’t have any holds, and make an appointment with your academic advisor who can help you register for classes.

How do I contact my academic advisor?

You can find your advisor’s contact information in My ASU in the Academic Support Team box.

How do I pay my tuition?

You can pay your tuition online by going to My ASU and clicking the Finances tab.

First-year student

What does it mean to self-report my courses on the admission application?

During the application process, you will be asked to enter all your courses and grades for school years 9 to 11 as they appear on your official high school transcript. You will also be asked to enter your in-progress courses for year 12.

How do I enter my courses and grades into the admission application?

To accurately enter all information, you must have your high school transcript when filling out the Required High School Courses section in My Grades. All semester, trimester, or quarter grades must be listed in the Required High School Courses section.

The information entered in the Required High School Courses section must match your official transcript if you have been admitted and intend to enroll. Any inaccurate information can result in your admission being revoked.

Am I able to include college courses or dual credit courses I have taken while in high school on my admission application?

Yes, the application gives you the option to self-report any college courses or dual credit courses you have taken before enrolling at ASU.

What should I do if my high school lists my grades numerically?

If your transcript includes a numerical grading scale, click on 100 point based in the Grading System section of your application and then you will select the number range for your grades in the Grades section.

When do I submit my final transcripts for admission to ASU?

If you have been admitted and intend to enroll at ASU, you will need to have your official high school transcripts sent directly to ASU once you graduate. Do not send any official transcripts during the application process or before you graduate.


How do I know if I’m considered a transfer student?

At ASU, a transfer student is anyone applying for admission who has attended another college or university and has completed 12 or more transferable credits post-high school, at the time of application. If you are completing college courses while in high school you are considered a freshman and not a transfer student.

Do I have to take the ACT or SAT to transfer to ASU?

It depends on your particular situation. If you transfer fewer than 24 transferable credits, you must also meet freshman admission requirements, which may require ACT and SAT scores. Also, some majors, such as business, require a particular ACT or SAT score for admission into the program. Take a peek at the ASU undergraduate Degree Search for admission information specific to your major.

Who can I speak with about my transfer to ASU?

ASU’s expert transfer specialists are available to answer your questions and help with your transfer to ASU. Find your transfer specialist.

Do I need to send my high school transcripts to apply for admission?

Transfer applicants with 24 or more transferable semester credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university, and who will be 22 or older by the start of the requested semester of admission, will not be required to submit a high school transcript for admission. Once all prior college or university transcripts and outstanding admission items are received and verified, the high school transcript requirement will be waived. Transfer applicants are required to have graduated from an approved high school (or equivalent) prior to the semester of requested admission at ASU, and to include this information on the application for admission.

Do I have to send all my college transcripts as part of my admission application?

Yes, for ASU to determine whether you meet admission requirements, we must evaluate your entire academic history, including course work completed at each college or university attended, regardless of academic performance. College transcripts should be sent directly from your college to:

ASU Admission Services
P.O. Box 871004
Tempe, AZ 85287-1004

I attended ASU previously. Am I a transfer student or a readmission student? Do I need to reapply?

If you have previously attended ASU as a degree-seeking student, you will be considered a readmission student. Please see readmission information.

I applied to ASU and was admitted, but did not attend. Do I need to reapply?

Yes, you need to reapply. Be sure to sign in to My ASU to see if any additional items are needed to complete your file.

Do I have to have an associate degree to transfer to ASU?

No, you can transfer to ASU at any time as long as you meet the transfer admission requirements. However, ASU recommends attaining your associate degree before transferring.

As a transfer student, how do I know how many credits can be applied toward my major?

Once you are admitted, you'll work with your academic advisor and review your DARS (Degree Audit Report System) to see which credits apply to you major.

What prerequisites do I need to complete before I can transfer to ASU?

There are no prerequisites required to be admitted to ASU, unless you have fewer than 24 transferable credits. Students with fewer than 24 transferable credits are required to meet freshman admission requirements, including aptitude and competency requirements.

Can I live on campus as a transfer student?

Yes, ASU has housing devoted specifically to upper-division students and strongly encourages all students to live on campus during their first year at ASU. For more information, please refer to University Housing.

There are also a variety of off-campus housing options in close proximity to ASU’s campuses. For more information on off-campus housing, check out Off-Campus Housing.

If I'm attending a California community college, is the IGETC/CSU GE required to transfer to ASU?

The IGETC/CSU GE is not a requirement for admission to ASU but is highly recommended. Completing either of the GE patterns and getting certified by your community college will satisfy the General Studies requirements at ASU. Learn more about how to transfer to ASU from a California community college.

What does it mean to get IGETC/CSU GE certified?

Getting certified means you have completed all General Education requirements at your California community college. If you have confirmed with your community college counselor that you are eligible for the certification, ASU will require that you submit the official certification along with your official transcripts to Admission Services.

Currently, I don't meet the Western Undergraduate Exchange admission requirements. Should I wait to apply?

No. Even though you may not currently qualify for WUE, we will always re-evaluate your admission to the program if you currently have courses in progress and submit your final transcripts.

I live in California but would like to meet with an ASU representative in person to discuss the transfer process. Is this possible?

ASU representatives will be attending college transfer fairs and hosting various visits at community colleges throughout California. Find your transfer specialist to ask about upcoming opportunities near you.

How do my credits transfer to ASU?

ASU awards transfer credit for college-level coursework as long as it was completed at a regionally accredited institution, you earned a grade of “C” or higher, and ASU offers an equivalent course. To see how your credits transfer to ASU, use our online Transfer Guide. Click on Course Search to get started. Read more about how your credits transfer to ASU, and if you have additional questions, contact your transfer representative.

When should I apply to ASU? What are the application deadlines?

ASU uses a rolling admission process that allows for a flexible time frame. ASU typically recommends that students start their steps to apply at least one semester prior to their starting term at ASU. It may take approximately two to six weeks to receive an admission decision once all requested materials are received. Although there are no “hard” deadlines to apply to ASU, there are a few priority dates to keep in mind if you’d like to maximize your opportunities for financial aid. You can review these dates, as well as admission requirements and steps to apply, at admission.asu.edu/transfer/apply.


Can international students receive ASU scholarships?

International freshman and transfer F-1 students may be considered for the New American University Scholarship, which helps with college expenses.

Can I be admitted as an international student if I’m not yet proficient in English?

ASU may offer conditional admission to international applicants who meet the academic (aptitude) requirements but who are not proficient in English. Conditional admission gives international F-1 students three semesters to submit a passing TOEFL, IELTS or PTE score, or to successfully graduate from ASU Global Launch to be fully admitted to the university.

What should international students submit with the admission application?

In addition to your application fee and all official transcripts, international students must submit proof of English proficiency. Foreign school transcripts can be sent by the student as long as they are official and original documents.

What is ASU’s English proficiency admission requirement for undergraduate international students?

The English proficiency requirement depends on your major. ASU accepts passing scores on the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE exams. Contact International Admission Services for more information at 480-965-2437 or asuinternational@asu.edu.

What are the English proficiency admission exemptions?

ASU offers several English proficiency exemptions:

  • Applicants who have completed their junior and senior years in a U.S. high school with an SAT EBRW score of 580 taken after April 2016 (SAT Verbal score of 550 if taken prior to May 2016) or an ACT English score of 23.
  • Applicants who have completed a minimum of 48 transferable semester credits including six credits of freshman English composition at a U.S. college or university with a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher.
  • Applicants holding a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
  • Applicants who have completed four years of high school in a U.S. high school — these applicants are subject to high school competency requirements.

Do I have to submit a financial guarantee to be considered for admission?

No, a financial guarantee is not necessary for an admission decision to ASU.

Can I receive credits for AP, IB or CLEP?

What is ASU’s TOEFL school code?

TOEFL: 4007

How many credit hours per semester is considered full time for ASU international students?

Generally, 12 or more credit hours per semester is considered full time for international students. Contact ASU’s International Students and Scholars Center at 480-727-4776 for more information or to discuss your particular circumstances.

What is the difference between online and on-campus credits?

Online credits are credits received for classes taken remotely using your computer. On-campus credits are credits received for classes taken in-person on an ASU campus. As an international student, you are required to take a certain number of credits at an on-campus location.

What do I need to submit to receive my I-20?

To receive your I-20, you must submit:

  • I-20 delivery option
  • financial guarantee form
  • financial document (bank statement or financial support letter)
  • foreign SEVIS address
  • copy of passport
  • SEVIS transfer form (if applicable)

Be sure to choose your preferred I-20 delivery option. All the items above will show up on My ASU after you are fully admitted.

What is the I-20 deadline?

I-20 deadlines vary by semester at ASU. See a complete list of I-20 deadlines here.

What are the international graduate student admission requirements for English proficiency?

If your native language is not English, you must provide proof of English proficiency.

What is considered an official transcript for international student admission?

Your academic credentials must provide information on the courses you took each year and the grades or marks received. Please note that any document ASU receives becomes the property of the university and will not be returned to you. Please do not send documents that cannot be easily replaced. Please do not send your intermediate or secondary education documents.

Official academic credentials are issued by the registrar of the institution attended, bearing the seal of the institution and registrar’s or academic official’s signature, or verified true copies of credentials by a responsible official of the institution or education representative of the country’s government or embassy. Each page must bear the verifying official signature and stamp.

All international transcripts must be submitted in the original language accompanied by an official English translation. Translations must be literal, complete versions of the originals and must be translated by a university, government official or official translation service. You may not complete your own translation.

Photocopies and notarized transcripts are not acceptable.

What do I do if I need to withdraw after being admitted as an international student?

Contact the International Students and Scholars Center before submitting a Voluntary Withdrawal form, as it most likely will affect your visa status.


When is the graduate admission application deadline?

Application deadlines are set and enforced by academic program offices. Please refer to the program descriptions found on Degree Search for deadline information. To discuss deadlines and exceptions, we recommended you contact the academic program office offering the program.

How do I enter my GPA on the graduate admission application?

The application requires your cumulative undergraduate GPA, junior-senior GPA and graduate GPA (if applicable). You can usually refer to your transcript to see the GPA awarded by your university. In the application, use the “scale” drop-down menu to see if your school’s grading scale is listed. For undergraduate GPA, provide your cumulative GPA for your undergraduate career with the appropriate scale. The junior-senior GPA represents your last, or most recently completed two years of course work, followed again by the appropriate scale. Use the same procedure for your graduate GPA if you have taken any graduate course work.

Calculating grade averages on a 4.0 scale
Calculating your grade/mark average or percentage on a non-4.0 scale

Do I need to submit any supplemental documents with my graduate admission application?

The academic program to which you are applying may or may not require supplemental documents like letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, resume, portfolio or test scores (GRE, GMAT, MAT). Always read the program description and requirements prior to contacting the program office. Graduate program descriptions and requirements with telephone numbers and email addresses are available on Degree Search.

My recommender did not receive the email to submit the letter of recommendation. How do I resend the email?

The application must be completed and the application fee must be paid before the emails are sent to recommenders.

You are allowed to resend the email every seven days through My ASU. In My ASU, access the Manage Recommenders link to send reminder emails. If your recommender does not seem to be receiving the emails, please have them check their email spam/junk folder.

Where should I send official transcripts and other documents?

Regular Stamped mail
Arizona State University
Graduate Admission Services
PO Box 871004
Tempe AZ 85287-1004

Graduate Admission Services
Arizona State University
1150 East University Drive Building C, Room 226
Tempe, AZ 85281

I have mailed my documents, so why are they still listed on my Priority Tasks list?

It takes a few days to process documents. Once they have arrived, they are processed in the order they are received. Please allow several business days for your Priority Tasks list to update once your documents have arrived.

When will I be notified about the final decision on my ASU admission application?

Be sure to monitor My ASU regularly for any updates regarding your application. Pending Priority Tasks will delay the processing of your application. Please contact the academic department of your program for an estimated time frame to expect a decision. Graduate program telephone numbers and email addresses are available on Degree Search.

What do I do if I need to withdraw after being admitted to ASU?

To withdraw from a graduate degree program and the university, complete the Voluntary Withdrawal form.


I may be eligible to attend ASU using VA benefits. Who do I contact for this information?

The Pat Tillman Veterans Center, with locations on all four campuses ,has been tasked by ASU to serve veterans who are using Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits to pursue their college degrees. You are encouraged to contact the veterans and military admission specialist at asuveterans@asu.edu or 480-727-3416.

What do I need to do to get my veteran educational benefits started at ASU?

The first step is to apply for admission to the university. Once you are admitted, contact the appropriate ASU program advisor (check My ASU for your advisor information). After you have enrolled in your courses, see next steps for newly admitted student veterans and dependents

How do I start a file for veteran benefits?

To start a file and initiate benefits for the term, sign a VA Benefits Responsibility Form, complete a Prior Credit Evaluation with your academic advisor, and fill out a VA Enrollment Activity Form. These forms are submitted directly to the Pat Tillman Veterans Center. For the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, please include your latest letter from the VA that details your benefit level and months/days of benefits remaining (your Certificate of Eligibility). See next steps for newly admitted student veterans and dependents.

Do I need to bring any military paperwork when I meet with my academic advisor?

If you are a veteran and eligible for Ch. 30, Montgomery G.I. Bill, bring your member 4 copy of the DD-214.

If you are eligible for Ch. 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits, provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to a Pat Tillman Veterans Center.

If you are eligible for Ch. 1606, Montgomery G. I. Bill - Reservists/National Guardsmen, provide a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), DD-2384 form, which is available from your unit’s Educational Officer.

If you are eligible for 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program, provide your orders calling you to active duty and your DD214 (member 4 copy) when released from active duty.

How do I find out if I have any veteran benefits left?

Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-827-1000.

Can I apply for financial aid in addition to using my VA benefits?

Yes, VA benefits are no longer considered when determining financial aid eligibility.

What extra benefits do I get for applying as a veteran?

We strongly encourage all veterans to self-identify when applying to ASU, whether using benefits or not. By identifying as a veteran, you will receive veteran specific communications and content during the period from application through enrollment. Then, while completing your degree program at ASU, we will help make sure you are connected with other veteran and military student career, networking, professional development and social opportunities.

What fees are covered under my GI Bill?

Any fee that is universally charged by the university is covered by the GI Bill. If the fee is one that is optional, your benefit will not cover it. To verify if the fee is covered, please email ptvc@asu.edu.

Does my GI Bill cover the undergraduate enrollment deposit?

No, since the enrollment deposit is not attached to a course of study, this fee cannot be covered under your benefits.

Is there a waiver or reduction in the application fee for veterans?

The application fee applies to all students and there is not a veteran exception.

Where should I send my transcripts?

Official transcripts should be sent to Admission Services from the issuing institution to the address below.

Admission Services
Arizona State University
PO Box 871004
Tempe AZ 85287-1004

How does the Joint Service Transcript (JST) work at ASU?

ASU awards credit at the undergraduate level in accordance with the American Council on Education recommendations. JST credit cannot be used for completion of General Studies requirements.

JSTs received at ASU will be automatically reviewed for all transferable credit. These credits will be reflected on each student’s Degree Audit Report. Academic advisors will evaluate transferable credit for applicability to each student’s program of study.

Because of the sequence involved in this process, typically a student must be admitted to a program of study in order to determine how their JST will affect degree completion.

Your JST is available at jst.doded.mil/smart/dodMandatoryBannerForm/submit.

What do I do with my Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript?

Go to airuniversity.af.mil/Barnes/CCAF/Display/Article/803247/ and have it sent to ASU like a traditional transcript.

Can I start classes online and switch to resident courses after I move there?

You can start at ASU Online but will have to change majors if you want to take resident courses after relocating.

What happens in cases of deployment during the semester?

As soon as possible, let your instructors and advisors know, then contact the military advocate at militaryadvocate@asu.edu to find out what your options are.

Do veteran and military students receive an honor stole when they’re ready to graduate?

Yes. Veteran and military students are awarded an honor stole to wear with their cap and gown at graduation ceremonies.

Contact Michelle Loposky.

I don't see my question here. How do I contact the Pat Tillman Veterans Center?

For more veteran information visit veterans.asu.edu/.

Parents and families

What is My ASU?

My ASU is a personalized website that has everything your student will need as an incoming Sun Devil, all in one convenient place. Students can find their next steps and to-do items for enrollment, financial and account information, class schedule, and more in My ASU. Remind your student to check it often.

Can parents access My ASU?

You may be accustomed to having direct access to every academic and financial record for your student, but that changes when your student begins college. All students are granted privacy rights regarding their education records by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA.

Your student can share important FERPA-protected information with you through My ASU Parent Guest Access. Students can give access to some or all of their student information, including class schedule, grades and finances. If you are considering a Parent Plus loan or want to be an authorized payer on your student’s account, you will need an account on My ASU Parent Guest Access as well.

Where can parents find important dates at ASU?

Check the academic calendar for important dates during ASU’s fall, spring and summer terms.